Our legal and technical experience in both arbitration and mediation matters has made our firm a logical choice when parties are searching for an experienced and knowledgeable neutral to help resolve their environmental, land use or energy disputes. Senior Counsel Rich Williams brings extensive experience with ADR from a corporate perspective and is a certified mediator in the Delaware Superior Court. Founding partner Joe Manko and John Gullace, along with the firm's senior technical consultant Darryl Borrelli, have worked together on a number of large and complex alternative dispute resolution (ADR) matters in which MGKF had been retained to act as the neutral.
Our team offers trusted perspective where a third-party neutral is needed, based on decades of experience in all aspects of environmental counseling and litigation.
Rich Williams has 37 years of experience as an environmental lawyer in government, (Head of the Delaware Department of Justice’s Environmental Section), private practice and in-house practice. His experience includes environmental litigation, commercial real estate transactions, environmental aspects of M&A transactions, environmental compliance and remediation. He joined the firm after practicing in-house for more than 30 years, where his practice focused on environmental compliance and remediation, real estate, environmental aspects of business transactions and environmental litigation. Rich’s experience enables him to understand issues from all perspectives and facilitate the resolution of complex matters in innovative ways.
Darryl Borrelli has undergraduate and graduate degrees in engineering, with more than 30 years of environmental consulting experience working for MGKF, large industrial corporations, and the Department of Defense.
John Gullace has nearly three decades of experience in private practice as an environmental litigator. John has also received neutral training through Conflict Prevention Resolution (CPR).
Joe Manko has more than 50 years of experience as an environmental lawyer both in government (as Regional Counsel for U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region III) and in private practice. He has spoken on ADR at various forums and CLE programs and was a lecturer-in-law on various environmental subjects, including ADR, at the University of Pennsylvania and Vermont Law Schools for more than two decades.
MGKF practitioners have provided neutral services in the following representative matters:
- Retained for a mediation between two large corporations over whether a facility that had just been sold could comply with applicable Clean Air Act requirements. This matter involved a detailed analysis of the Clean Air Act requirements as applied to the facility in question and the application of this analysis to a complex transactional document.
- Provided mediation services to several municipalities and municipal authorities that were members of a joint regional wastewater treatment plant regarding the proper allocation of capital and operating expenses, as well as the allocation of capacity and user charges among the participants.
- Mediated a dispute between two large multi-national corporations regarding responsibility for wastewater treatment issues at a plant in Puerto Rico that was part of a large multi-site transaction. The arbitration required an interpretation of the indemnity terms of the acquisition agreement.
- Mediated a dispute between two large corporations regarding responsibility for PCB contamination of river sediments arising from manufacturing operations. The subject of the arbitration involved an interpretation of a pre-CERCLA indemnity agreement under New York law.
- Mediated a dispute between two large corporations regarding responsibility for chlorinated solvent contamination that had spawned a number of legal proceedings. The four-day arbitration hearing involved a number of experts on a myriad of complex technical issues and the award required an in-depth analysis of contractual indemnification provisions and their application to complicated corporate structures.
- Provided mediation services relating to the adequacy of a due diligence investigation done by an environmental consultant in the context of an acquisition of petroleum-impacted property.
- Mediated a dispute between the seller and purchaser of a former manufacturing site that involved the question of seller’s responsibility for hazardous substances that were not discovered in due diligence.
- Mediated and arbitrated various claims involving allocation of costs of remediation for waste disposal sites among potentially responsible parties.
- Mediated a claim by the United States against its former contractor for alleged contamination on one of its facilities.
- Mediated and arbitrated claims under purchase and sale agreements (for real estate and businesses) relating to real estate and environmental issues.
- Provided mediation services disputes regarding EHS (Environmental, Health and Safety) compliance issues.
- Mediated disputes regarding remediation issues (Superfund/CERCLA, RCRA and state remediation programs) and contract issues arising from M&A transactions and other contractual matters involving environmental issues.
- Waiver Results In Sixth Circuit Rejecting Challenge to Aribtration Provision in Superfund Settlement AgreementSeptember 12, 2019MGKF Litigation Blog
- August 5, 2019MGKF Litigation Blog
- June 28, 2023
- March 1, 2023
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Included in 2022 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” National RankingsNovember 4, 2021
- August 19, 202117 Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Attorneys Listed in 2022 Best Lawyers and Ones to Watch
- June 14, 2021
- May 24, 2021
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox to Receive the 2021 H. Robert Fiebach Award for the Promotion of Women in the LawMay 4, 2021
- May 3, 2021
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Included in 2021 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” National RankingsNovember 5, 2020
- October 23, 2020
- Bruce Katcher Named the Best Lawyers® 2021 Environmental Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Cherry Hill, NJAugust 20, 202016 Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Attorneys Included in Best Lawyers 2021 and Four Named to Inaugural Ones to Watch List
- June 8, 2020Gotanda, McCabe, Moshang and Schiller Included in Top 50 Women Pennsylvania Listing
- April 30, 2020
- January 6, 2020
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Included in 2020 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” National RankingsNovember 4, 2019
- September 26, 2019
- August 15, 201814 Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Attorneys Included in Best Lawyers 2019
- July 5, 2018
- June 28, 2018