- Alternative Dispute Resolution Neutral Services
- Corporate and Commercial Transactions
- Corporate Compliance and Other Regulatory Programs
- Site Development and Brownfields Redevelopment
- Sustainability and ESG
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Harvard University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1964
Yale University, B.A. (history honors), magna cum laude, 1961
- Phi Beta Kappa
Professional & Community Activities
American Bar Association (Sections: Dispute Resolution; Environment, Energy, and Resources)
Pennsylvania Bar Association (Section: Environmental, Mineral, and Natural Resources Law)
University of Pennsylvania and Vermont
- Former adjunct law professor
Symphony House Condo Board
Joe is a founding partner of Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP with more than 40 years of experience advising clients on environmental matters involving real estate transactions and development, regulatory permitting and compliance, environmental reporting and alternative dispute resolution.
Joe’s experience as the EPA Region III’s general counsel, after almost 10 years as a corporate practitioner, gave him the ability to see and therefore provide counsel on environmental issues in real life situations.
He spent 18 years teaching environmental law courses at the University of Pennsylvania and Vermont Law Schools. Prior to founding the firm in 1989, Joe founded and chaired the Environmental Department at Wolf, Block, Schorr and Solis-Cohen. Manko served for 27 years as an elected commissioner and officer on the Lower Merion Board of Commissioners, giving him insight into municipal issues.
He is the past chair of the Pennsylvania Environmental Council, former vice chair of the State Water Law Committee of the Pennsylvania Bar Association, and past chair of the Environmental Law Committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association.
Appointed by Governor Tom Ridge in July 1997, Joe served on Pennsylvania's 21st Century Environment Commission and served as Governor Rendell’s designee to chair the Board of Directors of the Pennsylvania Infrastructure Investment Authority (PENNVEST) from 2003-2012. He co-chaired Mayor Nutter’s Sustainability Advisory Board from 2008-2015.
Away from work, Joe serves as the Vice President and Development Co-Chair of the Fairmount Park Conservancy and as an Executive Committee member and Co-Chair of the Development Committee for the Philadelphia Orchestra. He formerly served on the Fairmount Park Commission board and serves on the Advisory Boards of the Philadelphia Film Society and the Community Partnership School.
He has received numerous awards from environmental and conservation organizations and served as a co-chair of several councils for the Urban Land Institute. Joe was a member of various task force committees for governmental agencies, including co-chair of the Philadelphia Sustainability Board and a member of the Philadelphia Zoning Board under former Mayor Nutter.
Joe and his late wife of 55 years, Lynn, have 3 children and 6 grandchildren. His avocations are golf, tennis and traveling.
Representative experience includes the following:
- negotiating and drafting the environmental provisions included in transactional documents involving the sale, purchase, leasing, and financing of real estate;
- counseling with respect to the development and redevelopment of brownfield properties, including attainment of governmental cleanup liability protection under Pennsylvania and New Jersey brownfield programs and the federal Superfund program;
- negotiating documents to effect the settlement of violations of permits or government laws alleged by the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Departments of Environmental Protection ("DEPs") and by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ("EPA");
- obtaining regulatory approvals for real estate developments from the Pennsylvania and New Jersey DEPs, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and other federal and state regulatory agencies and municipalities;
- representing clients before the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board and state and federal administrative agencies and courts;
- serving as a mediator or arbitrator in numerous environmental cases, including the allocation of costs to be incurred by responsible parties in several Superfund disputes involving tens of millions of dollars; and
- advising clients and formulating policy on emerging issues related to the emission of greenhouse gases and other aspects of climate change.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business (environmental law) since inception in 2003. The Chambers list is issued by Chambers and Partners. Click here to view the selection methodology.
- The Best Lawyers® in America listings (environmental law, arbitration and mediation), since 1991. The Best Lawyers list is issued by Woodward/White Inc. Click here to view the selection methodology.
- Pennsylvania’s Super Lawyers listings (environmental law, energy and natural resources, and alternative dispute resolution), since 2004 ; Top 100 Philadelphia Super Lawyers listing (2005; 2007; and 2012-2013); and Top 100 Pennsylvania Super Lawyer listing (2004; 2006-2007). The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. Click here to view the selection methodology.
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated through Martindale-Hubbell®. Click here to view the selection methodology.
- Compass Award 2015, Philadelphia Outward Bound
- Lifetime Achievement Award 2015, The Legal Intelligencer
Civic Leadership in the Philadelphia area (2012), Fairmount Park Conservancy
- "Regional Leader of the Year" (2010), Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
- Winsor Award (2007), Pennsylvania Environmental Council
- Lower Merion Conservancy's Annual Award (2002)
- The Pennsylvania Bar Association's Environmental, Mineral and Natural Resources Law Section's Annual Award (2001)
- Conservation Professional of the Year (2000)
- Pennsylvania Wildlife Federation Montgomery County Democrat of the Year (2000)
- No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey or any other jurisdiction.
City of Margate, New Jersey
December 3, 2014
American College of Environmental Lawyers
Doin' the Dunes: What Will They Cost? - Part III
December 2, 2013
American College of Environmental Lawyers
Doin' the Dunes: What Will They Cost? - Part II
July 19, 2013
American College of Environmental Lawyers
Doin' the Dunes: What Will They Cost?
June 11, 2013
American College of Environmental Lawyers
Preserving and Protecting Philadelphia's Water and Park Systems
June 7, 2013
World Class Greater Philadelphia
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP Is Named a 2023 Top Workplaces Award Winner by The Philadelphia InquirerMarch 28, 2023
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Included in 2023 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” National RankingsNovember 3, 2022
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox to Receive a 2022 Innovation and Collaboration Award from the Water Resources AssociationSeptember 1, 2022
- June 30, 2022
- June 2, 2022
- May 27, 2022Managing Partner Carol F. McCabe included in Top 10 Pennsylvania listing. McCabe and Brenda H. Gotanda included in additional top lists.
- June 14, 2021
- May 24, 2021
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox to Receive the 2021 H. Robert Fiebach Award for the Promotion of Women in the LawMay 4, 2021
- May 3, 2021
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Included in 2021 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” National RankingsNovember 5, 2020
- Bruce Katcher Named the Best Lawyers® 2021 Environmental Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Cherry Hill, NJAugust 20, 202016 Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Attorneys Included in Best Lawyers 2021 and Four Named to Inaugural Ones to Watch List
- June 8, 2020Gotanda, McCabe, Moshang and Schiller Included in Top 50 Women Pennsylvania Listing
- April 30, 2020
- April 22, 2020
- The Philadelphia Inquirer Names Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP a Winner of the Philadelphia Top Workplaces 2020 AwardApril 21, 2020
- September 26, 2019
- August 19, 201915 MANKO, GOLD, KATCHER & FOX ATTORNEYS INCLUDED IN BEST LAWYERS 2020
- May 23, 2019Fox and McCabe Included on Top 100 List for Philadelphia; McCabe and Moshang Included in Top 50 Women Pennsylvania
- May 16, 2019
- The Philadelphia Inquirer Names Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP to the Delaware Valley Top Workplaces 2019 Award ListMarch 5, 2019
- August 15, 201814 Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Attorneys Included in Best Lawyers 2019
- July 5, 2018
- June 28, 2018
- May 21, 2018McCabe, Moshang and Schiller Included in Top 50: 2018 Women Pennsylvania Super Lawyers; McCabe Included on Top 100 List for Philadelphia
- May 14, 2018
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
"Federal and State Issues 2023", moderator at the PBI Environmental Law Forum, Harrisburg, PA, March 15, 2023
"Federal and State Issues" presented at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's Environmental Law Forum in Harrisburg, April 6, 2017.
"Disruptive Technology, Ten Million People, and a Warmer Planet" a program of the Urban Land Institute Philadelphia, September 27, 2016
"Managing Environmental Risks to Get the Deal Done” presented at the 2016 Temple Real Estate Institute, April 14 and May 3, 2016
"Environmental Issues Update for Real Estate Lawyers," presented at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's A Day on Real Estate in Philadelphia, PA, August 5, 2015
"Environmental Issues Update for Real Estate Lawyers," presented at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's 18th Annual Real Estate Institute in Philadelphia, PA, December 5, 2014
"Practical Tips for Buying and Selling Contaminated Property," presented at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's 17th Annual Real Estate Institute in Philadelphia, PA, December 5, 2013
“Green Infrastructure – Rethinking Roads, Bridges and Waterways,” presented at the Delaware Valley Green Building Council’s (DVGBCs) 3rd Annual PA/NJ Sustainability Symposium in Philadelphia, March 12, 2013
"New Requirements for Benchmarking and Reporting Energy and Water Usage in Commercial Buildings in Philadelphia -- What Real Estate Lawyers Need to Know," presented by the Pennsylvania Bar Real Estate Institute in Philadelphia, PA, December 5, 2012
"Sustainability Legal Issues & Risk Management Strategies for Existing Buildings," presented at the Building Owners & Managers Association (BOMA) of Philadelphia in Philadelphia, PA, May 1, 2012
"Greening Your Real Estate Deals: Opportunities and Risks in Sustainable Development" presented by the Temple Real Estate Institute in Philadelphia, PA, April 16 and May 10, 2012
"Making Sense of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy," presented by the Pennsylvania Bar Real Estate Institute in Philadelphia, PA, December 7, 2011
"Water, Water ... Everywhere? Anywhere? Who's Going to Pay?" presented by the Urban Land Institute for the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission ("DVRPC"), Philadelphia, PA, August 11, 2011
"Builder Developer Summit," presented by Wells Fargo Home Mortgage in Conshohocken, PA, April 27, 2011
"It Takes A Village, So Build It - Citizenship and Getting Involved," presented at the Main Line Chamber of Commerce Leadership Main Line Class of 2011 program, April 13, 2011
"Adapting to Climate Change in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed," presented by the Chesapeake Bay Program's Scientific and Technical Advisory Committee in Philadelphia, March 15, 2011
"Green Building & Sustainability: Managing the New Risks," presented at the Pennsylvania Bar Real Estate Institute in Philadelphia, PA, December 2, 2010
"Green Project Financing: How to Get the Green Elements of Your Construction Project Funded," presented by MGKF and the Delaware Valley Green Building Council in Philadelphia, November 8, 2010
"Funding in Infrastructure Driving Economic Prosperity - 2010," presented at the Third Annual Pennsylvania Infrastructure Summit in Philadelphia, May 20, 2010
"Business Opportunities for Companies that Focus on Renewable Energy and Infrastructure," sponsored by Select Greater Philadelphia, May 10, 2010
"Federal and State Issues," presented at the annual Environmental Law Forum sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute in Hershey, PA, April 22, 2010
"Green Building Update - Managing the New Risks," presented by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's at the 13th Annual Law Institute in Philadelphia, PA, December 3, 2009
"Impact of the Federal Stimulus Package on Clean Water Infrastructure," presented at the Montgomery County Planning Commission in Norristown, PA, April 16, 2009
"Environment & Energy Funding in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act," sponsored by MGKF in Philadelphia, PA, March 17, 2009
"Liquid Assets: A Philadelphia Perspective," presented by the Fairmount Water Works' Schuylkill Soundings at the Fairmount Water Works Interpretive Center in Philadelphia, February 2, 2009
"Environmental Impacts on Real Estate: New Developments and Emerging Trends," presented at the Pennsylvania Bar Real Estate Institute in Philadelphia, December 4, 2008
"Current Environmental Issues for Commerical and Industrial Real Estate Professionals," presented by the Temple University Real Estate Institute in Philadelphia, April 22, 2008
"The Impact of Climate Change on Real Estate Development," presented at the Pennsylvania Bar Real Estate Institute in Philadelphia, December 5, 2007
"Federal and State Issues" presented at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's 22nd Annual Environmental Law Forum, April 6, 2017
- October 1, 2022Pennsylvania State ChapterPublished semi-annually by Matthew Bender
- August 22, 2022The Philadelphia Inquirer
- September 24, 2019The Legal Intelligencer
- May 23, 2019MontCo.Today
- August 20, 2018
- March 26, 2012Litigation Counsel of America Firm Spotlight
- February 15, 2009The Philadelphia Inquirer