We regularly counsel clients regarding their asbestos obligations, perform asbestos regulatory compliance audits for various types of building owners, and assist in developing asbestos operation and maintenance (O&M) plans to facilitate uniform compliance across multi-facility operations. MGKF represents clients in negotiating contracts with consultants and contractors for asbestos inspection and removal services. Additionally, the firm advises on agency notifications related to demolition and renovation work and represents clients in agency enforcement actions related to asbestos issues.
MGKF provides clients with advice and representation regarding the wide range of regulatory programs addressing asbestos including:
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) asbestos hazard communication requirements applicable to owners of public and commercial buildings;
- OSHA worker protection standards for asbestos exposure;
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) asbestos National Emission Standard for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) regulations applicable to building demolitions and renovations;
- EPA requirements for management of asbestos in schools under the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA); and
- EPA rules for accreditation of inspectors and other personnel involved with asbestos activities in schools and public and commercial buildings pursuant to the Asbestos School Hazard Abatement Reauthorization Act (ASHARA).
- Counseled a national retail chain on regulatory requirements applicable to building and facility owners for providing notice to housekeeping employees and others of the presence of asbestos-containing materials in stores pursuant the federal OSHA program and OSHA-approved state programs.
- Represented a demolition contractor in negotiating favorable settlement of an agency enforcement action alleging failure to provide pre-demolition NESHAP notifications to EPA and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection.
- Assisted a university in negotiating successful settlement of an OSHA enforcement action regarding OSHA's asbestos pre-renovation notification obligations.
- Counseled a telecommunications client on the applicability of OSHA's asbestos construction industry standard and worked with the client and its consultant to evaluate potential workplace asbestos exposure and develop asbestos awareness training materials.
- Provided counseling and guidance to a luxury retail shopping mall owner regarding asbestos management and disclosure obligations.
- EPA Incorporates the Current ASTM E1527-21 Phase I Standard into the Existing “All Appropriate Inquiry” RegulationsDecember 15, 2022
- Philadelphia Proposes Sweeping Revisions to 40-Year-Old Air Toxics Regulations to Require Health Risk Assessments for Virtually All Permit and License Applications and RenewalsMay 10, 2022Public hearing scheduled for August 10, 2022.
- EPA Publishes Proposed Rule and Direct Final Rule to Incorporate ASTM E1527-21 Phase I Standard into the Code of Federal RegulationsMarch 16, 2022
- November 22, 2021
- November 4, 2019
- In Rejecting J&J Bankruptcy Petition, Court Reminds that Financial Distress is a Prerequisite to BankruptcyFebruary 16, 2023MGKF Litigation Blog
- Supreme Court Finds Duty to Warn of Potential Asbestos Exposure and Adopts a Required Part Standard in Maritime Toxic Tort ContextMarch 28, 2019MGKF Litigation Blog
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Included in 2022 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” National RankingsNovember 4, 2021
- August 19, 202117 Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Attorneys Listed in 2022 Best Lawyers and Ones to Watch
- June 14, 2021
- May 24, 2021
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox to Receive the 2021 H. Robert Fiebach Award for the Promotion of Women in the LawMay 4, 2021
- May 3, 2021
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Included in 2021 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” National RankingsNovember 5, 2020
- October 23, 2020
- Bruce Katcher Named the Best Lawyers® 2021 Environmental Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Cherry Hill, NJAugust 20, 202016 Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Attorneys Included in Best Lawyers 2021 and Four Named to Inaugural Ones to Watch List
- June 8, 2020Gotanda, McCabe, Moshang and Schiller Included in Top 50 Women Pennsylvania Listing
- April 30, 2020
- January 6, 2020
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Included in 2020 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” National RankingsNovember 4, 2019
- September 26, 2019
- July 19, 2018
- October 1, 2022Pennsylvania State ChapterPublished semi-annually by Matthew Bender
- January 13, 2020The Philadelphia Business Journal