- Corporate and Commercial Transactions
- Corporate Compliance and Other Regulatory Programs
- Occupational Safety and Health Compliance
- Site Development and Brownfield Redevelopment
- Superfund and Site Remediation
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1987
University of Pennsylvania Wharton School, B.S. Econ., cum laude, 1984
Professional & Community Activities
Pennsylvania Bar Association, Environmental, Mineral, and Natural Resources Law Section
- Chair (2004)
Society of Women Environmental Professionals of Greater Philadelphia
Chemistry Council of New Jersey
Environmental Protection & Safety Management Graduate Program, St. Joseph's University
- Guest lecturer
Bryn Mawr College
- Guest lecturer
Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- Annual Environmental Law Forum Course planner (2005-2010)
Arden Theatre Company
- Board member (2000-2006)
City Avenue Special Services District
- Board Member (2006-2011)
“I have worked with environmental attorneys around the world and have yet to find any individual attorney whose skill set and knowledge match up to our business as well as Jill’s do.”
- Randy Reyer, Director Corporate Environmental Health & Safety for Global Manufacturer
Jill has a wide variety of experience in environmental and safety counseling and litigation. She has handled many Occupational Safety and Health Administration ("OSHA") compliance and enforcement matters for clients across the country including matters involving fatalities and serious injuries, challenging Citations, advising on OSHA programs and procedures, and submitting comments on and challenging new OSHA standards. Jill’s environmental practice is equally varied and includes designing, overseeing and performing environmental health and safety audits; advising clients on environmental aspects of real estate development and management and ways to limit their potential liability; and assisting clients to comply with complex regulatory schemes such as hazardous and non-hazardous waste regulations, stormwater requirements, Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act requirements, and Superfund and cleanup laws. Other areas where Jill has in-depth experience include asbestos, mold and indoor air quality and environmental insurance. Jill’s diverse practice stems from the broad range of clients she has represented, including a global manufacturer of lead-acid batteries, a leading telecommunications company, a national drug store chain, railroads, hospitals, port facilities, and prominent brownfields redevelopers.
Jill is a past chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Environmental and Energy Law Section. She also served as a course planner for many years for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's Annual Environmental Law Forum.
Outside of work, Jill spends her time with her husband, son and daughter. She enjoys hiking, baking, and old movies.
Her representative matters include the following:
- representing clients in OSHA proceedings involving fatalities and alleged violations of lockout/tagout and electric power generation, transmission and distribution regulations, and negotiating favorable settlement terms and penalties;
- defending railroad in OSHA proceeding which resulted in a majority of the items being withdrawn and an over 90 percent penalty reduction;
- representing the Association of American Railroads and six Class I railroads in challenging OSHA’s Cranes and Derricks in Construction standard which resulted in revised regulations applicable to railroads;
- representing clients at informal conferences with OSHA and negotiating favorable settlement terms;
- assisting clients in designing and drafting OSHA programs ranging from asbestos to electrical safety to emergency response;
- acting as environmental counsel to a global manufacturer of lead-acid batteries, including defending notices of citations relating to hazardous waste and stormwater issues, negotiating settlements with state environmental agencies, defending cost recovery litigation, auditing facilities, drafting environmental language for sales agreements and leases, and negotiating global insurance policies;
- designing, overseeing, and implementing environmental audits of telecommunications companies, hospitals, and manufacturers with multi-state facilities;
- negotiating a Consent Agreement with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ("EPA") under its Audit Policy involving alleged violations of the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act, Clean Water Act, and Clean Air Act, which resulted in a 100 percent reduction ($1.2 million) of the gravity component of the civil penalty;
- performing internal investigations at companies that have received employee complaints or have discovered employee misconduct;
- assisting national drug store chain in performing due diligence for numerous real estate transactions, overseeing necessary cleanups, and obtaining liability protection or "no further action" letters;
- successfully defending drug store in a mediation proceeding involving past contamination;
- assisting port facility in the environmental aspects of a $104 million bond issue, including drafting environmental aspects of agreements, leases, and disclosure statements;
- assisting port facilities with stormwater and air permitting issues;
- representing clients at federal and state Superfund sites including bringing and defending all types of cost recovery litigation, negotiating consent orders and decrees with EPA and state agencies, representing parties in equitable allocation proceedings, and negotiating and obtaining comfort letters and prospective purchaser agreements from EPA and state agencies concerning contamination on and emanating from Superfund sites;
- assisting brownfield redevelopers in performing due diligence and structuring matters to obtain liability protection and expedite regulatory and financial approvals, including satisfying the requirements of EPA’s Bona Fide Prospective Purchaser defense and negotiating many Buyer-Seller Agreements with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection; and
- successfully representing clients in appeals before the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board.
Jill has spoken and written on the topics of obtaining financing for brownfields projects, lender liability, legal and insurance issues presented by mold contamination, and OSHA issues. In addition, Jill has spoken to a number of groups regarding environmental audits, including providing assistance on designing audit policies and programs.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers® in America listing (environmental law), since 2008. The Best Lawyers list is issued by Woodward/White Inc. Click here to view the selection methodology.
- Pennsylvania's Super Lawyers listing (environmental law), since 2011. The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. Click here to view the selection methodology.
- No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey or any other jurisdiction.
- MGKF’s Kaplan Presented “OSHA vs. The FRA – Where to Draw the Line” at the ASLRRA’s Finance & Administration and General Counsel SymposiumNovember 28, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- Multiple Recognitions for Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Attorneys: McCabe and Schiller Included in Top 50: 2017 Women Pennsylvania Super LawyersMay 22, 201770 Percent of the Firm Included in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Listing
- August 18, 2016
- May 31, 2016
- Kaplan Panelist for “Protecting the Company and Client: Agency Inspections and Criminal Prosecution”April 21, 2016A DRI Webinar
- April 21, 2016
- December 10, 2015
- August 24, 2015
- May 19, 2015
- November 4, 2014
- May 27, 2014
- August 22, 2013
- May 20, 2013
- September 4, 2012
- May 29, 2012
- Jill Hyman Kaplan and Michael C. Nines of Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP, Presented "Managing Risk During EHS Auditing - The Attorney-Client Privilege" - 2011 Auditing RoundtableSeptember 7, 2011
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Attorneys Receive Professional Recognition - Eleven Included in Super Lawyers, Four Listed as Rising StarsMay 23, 2011
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2011 Recognizes More than Half of the Partners of Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP - Firm Receives Metropolitan First-Tier RankingSeptember 15, 2010
- Six Attorneys from Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP Presented at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's 15th Annual Environmental Law ForumApril 25, 2010
- Jill Hyman Kaplan of Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP Appointed to the Board of the City Avenue Special Services DistrictJuly 10, 2008
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
“OSHA vs. The FRA – Where to Draw the Line” presented at the American Short Line & Regional Rail Association’s (“ASLRRA”) Finance & Administration and General Counsel Symposium, Kansas City, MO, November 16, 2017
"Protecting the Company and Client: Agency Inspections and Criminal Prosecution," a webinar sponsored by DRI, April 21, 2016.
"Pitfalls and Practice Pointers: Negotiating Contracts with Consultants and Contractors," presented at the 2016 In-House Counsel Conference of the Association of Corporate Counsel Greater Philadelphia, April 19, 2016.
"Preparing for and Responding to an Emergency of Casualty Incident," sponsored by MGKF in Bala Cynwyd, PA, June 24, 2014.
"Managing Risk During EHS Auditing - The Attorney-Client Privilege," presented at the National Meeting of the Auditing Roundtable, September 7, 2011
"Managing Risk During EHS Auditing," sponsored by the Auditing Roundtable in Bala Cynwyd, PA, April 28, 2010
"Everything You Always Wanted to Know About OSHA But Were Afraid to Ask," presented by MGKF in Bala Cynwyd, PA, June 12, 2008
- April 21, 2016Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Ranked in Top 20 Ceiling SmashersLaw360
- Update on OSHA’s New Injury-Reporting Provisions Involving Incentive Programs and Drug & Alcohol TestingDecember 7, 2016
- OSHA Announces New Guidance and Delayed Enforcement for New Injury-Reporting Provisions Involving Incentive Programs and Drug & Alcohol TestingOctober 24, 2016
- January 13, 2016Significant Rate Changes on the Horizon
- December 15, 2014
- Proposed Philadelphia Water Department Rate Increase - Significant Changes Proposed for the Stormwater Management Services ProgramMarch 13, 2012
- Employer's Duty to Provide Personal Protective Equipment and Train Each Employee Now Carries With It the Potential for "Per-Employee" PenaltiesJanuary 8, 2009
- August 16, 2007
- August 16, 2007
- July 9, 2014The Legal Intelligencer
- March 1, 2010Association of Corporate Counsel's "Green-house Counsel"
- November 23, 2007NJPA Real Estate Journal
- If I Own Contaminated Property, Does the Recent United States Supreme Court Opinion in United States v. Atlantic Research Corp. Matter to Me?June 22, 2007NJPA Real Estate Journal