Bar & Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Supreme Court
Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law, J.D., 2005
- Temple Law Review, Staff member
Drexel University, B.S. (biology), summa cum laude, 2002
Professional & Community Activities
Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry
- Co-Chair, Air Work Group
Tredyfrin Township Planning Commission, Member
Brandywine Valley SPCA
- Board Member (2016-present)
Women's Energy Network
- Board of Directors, Membership Director (2020-2021)
Upper Merion Township Environmental Advisory Council, Member
Delaware Valley Golden Retriever Rescue Volunteer
Delaware Valley Earth Force
- Board of Directors (2009-2011)
“Understanding our clients’ operations is essential to developing practical solutions to complex problems.”
With close to 20 years of experience working on regulatory and other matters related to air quality, Kate now co-leads the firm’s air practice group. She works with a range of clients, from petroleum refineries, power plants, and chemical and other product manufacturers, to commercial and development entities. She is able to draw on her background in applied science, including hands-on experience in the chemical manufacturing and pharmaceutical sectors, to deliver legal advice that reflects an understanding of her clients’ technical operations. Kate has extensive experience in counseling clients on compliance issues under federal and state air pollution control regulations, including virtually all aspects of the Title V permitting program. In recent years, she has spent considerable time negotiating agency enforcement actions alleging violations of regulatory requirements, including on behalf of several complex industrial facilities. Kate has also handled litigation matters, with a particular focus on defending environmental permits against third-party appeals and other administrative challenges.
Kate shares the firm’s commitment to community involvement. She is the co-chair of the Air Committee of the Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry. She also serves on the Tredyffrin Township Planning Commission. Kate is in her second term as a member of the Board of Directors of the Brandywine Valley SPCA. In 2019, she was elected to the Board of Directors of the Women’s Energy Network Greater Philadelphia Chapter and held that position until her two-year term ended. She previously served on the Upper Merion Township Environmental Advisory Council, including as Chair, for several years. Kate also formerly served on the Board of Directors of Delaware Valley Earth Force.
Kate has spent her entire legal career at the firm, beginning as a summer associate in 2003 and then working part-time while finishing law school. Now she works closely more junior attorneys at the firm and served as the firm’s associate workload partner for five years. In 2014, Kate graduated from LEADERSHIP Philadelphia’s Core Program. In law school, she was a member of the Temple Law Review, and in college at Drexel, Kate was selected for the Honors Program, eventually earning the highest grade point average among all biology majors in her graduating class. Outside of work, Kate and her husband have a young daughter and two adopted golden retrievers and enjoy being outside.
Examples of Kate’s recent experience include the following:
- Represented a national metal recycling company in negotiating federal consent decrees with the Department of Justice and the United States Environmental Protection Agency to resolve alleged violations of regulatory requirements at multiple facilities. Such negotiations involved the application of complicated Clean Air Act (CAA) and other statutory and regulatory standards across several environmental media.
- Represented industrial facilities in opposing third-party challenges to environmental permits necessary for implementation of key facility projects. Kate has also assisted clients in challenging objectionable permits issued to our clients’ facilities by environmental agencies.
- Represented major power plants in challenging emission standards for electric generating units (EGUs), including, under the Cross-State Air Pollution Rule (CSAPR) and the National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) for fossil fuel-fired EGUs (MATS). Kate’s work for these clients has included challenging CSAPR and MATS before the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals and, ultimately, the United States Supreme Court. Similarly, Kate assisted a power plant in opposing attempts by other states to impose stricter emission standards pursuant to the CAA’s good neighbor provision.
- Assisted a major petroleum refinery for several years in revising its Title V operating permit. This process involved New Source Review (NSR), Leak Detection and Repair (LDAR), and greenhouse gas regulations, among other federal and state regulatory programs. This work included extensive negotiations with the state environmental agency, significant administrative appeals, and the resolution of a variety of enforcement issues.
Kate regularly advises a variety of clients on federal and state air regulations affecting emergency generators, including the NESHAP for Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines (RICE) and the New Source Performance Standards (NSPS) for Internal Combustion Engines. She has assisted clients in obtaining permits addressing these regulations, developing operating programs for achieving compliance at the facility level, and responding to agency enforcement actions alleging violations of such standards.
Honors & Awards
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers listing (environmental law), since 2017; “Rising Star” listing (environmental law), 2013-2015. The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. Click here to view the selection methodology.
- No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey or any other jurisdiction.
- Philadelphia Proposes Sweeping Revisions to 40-Year-Old Air Toxics Regulations to Require Health Risk Assessments for Virtually All Permit and License Applications and RenewalsMay 10, 2022Public hearing scheduled for August 10, 2022.
- January 14, 2022
- January 14, 2022
- January 12, 2021
- Trump’s EPA Makes a Late Push to Revive the Startup, Shutdown, and Malfunction Exemption, but Will It Get Out of the Starting Gate?January 11, 2021
- January 11, 2021
- January 18, 2018
- January 18, 2018
- September 20, 2017
- January 23, 2017
- January 22, 2017
- September 20, 2016
- Environmental Forecast: A Look Ahead at a Busy Biden White House, a Packed Agenda at DEP, and What it Means for Pennsylvania Business and IndustryMarch 29, 2021Catalyst - a publication of the PA Chamber of Business and Industry
- June 5, 2020Co-authored by members of the MGKF Air Quality Practice GroupNew Jersey Environmental Law Handbook (Ninth Edition)
- September 17, 2018The Legal Intelligencer
- July 11, 2016The Legal Intelligencer
- June 2, 2022
- May 27, 2022Managing Partner Carol F. McCabe included in Top 10 Pennsylvania listing. McCabe and Brenda H. Gotanda included in additional top lists.
- June 14, 2021
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox to Receive the 2021 H. Robert Fiebach Award for the Promotion of Women in the LawMay 4, 2021
- May 3, 2021
- Kantorczyk and Vaccaro of Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Presented at the Marcellus Shale Coalition’s Virtual Air Quality Compliance TrainingNovember 19, 2020
- October 23, 2020
- June 8, 2020Gotanda, McCabe, Moshang and Schiller Included in Top 50 Women Pennsylvania Listing
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Attorneys Author Air Chapter of the 9th Edition of the New Jersey Environmental Law HandbookJune 5, 2020
- April 22, 2020
- The Philadelphia Inquirer Names Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP a Winner of the Philadelphia Top Workplaces 2020 AwardApril 21, 2020
- MGKF’s Vaccaro and Nines Present “Internal Environmental Auditing” at the CCNJ’s Plant Operations Management WorkshopDecember 9, 2019
- May 23, 2019Fox and McCabe Included on Top 100 List for Philadelphia; McCabe and Moshang Included in Top 50 Women Pennsylvania
- July 19, 2018Permitting – Enforcement – Modeling – Continuous Monitoring
- May 21, 2018McCabe, Moshang and Schiller Included in Top 50: 2018 Women Pennsylvania Super Lawyers; McCabe Included on Top 100 List for Philadelphia
- April 21, 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
"Legal Perspective on Oil and Gas Air Quality and Compliance Developments" presented at the Marcellus Shale Coalition's Virtual Air Quality Compliance Reporting and Testing Training, October 22, 2020
“Air Regulatory Update” presented at the Chemistry Council of New Jersey Environment Committee Meeting in Princeton, NJ, February 25, 2020
“Internal Environmental Auditing: Best Practices for the Audit Process & Protecting the Findings” presented at the Chemistry Council of New Jersey’s Plant Operations Management Workshop, Princeton, NJ, December 4, 2019
“Air Quality Regulation” presented at the Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy 2019 Science Conference, Bryn Mawr, PA, April 16, 2019
“Air Regulatory Update” presented at the Chemistry Council of New Jersey Environment Committee Meeting in Fairfield, NJ, February 26, 2019
“What’s in the Air? Permitting-Enforcement-Modeling-Continuous Monitoring” presented by MGKF and ALL4, Bala Cynwyd, PA, July 17, 2018
"Hot Topics and Advanced Air Permitting" presented at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's Environmental Law Forum in Harrisburg, April 11, 2018
"Air Update" presented at the Environment Committee Meeting of the Chemistry Council of New Jersey (CCNJ), Bordentown, NJ, February 23, 2018
"A Regulatory Overview for Plant Management" presented at the Plant Operations Management Workshop sponsored by the Chemistry Council of New Jersey (CCNJ), East Brunswick, NJ, December 5, 2017
"Hot Topics and Advanced Air Permitting" presented at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's Environmental Law Forum in Harrisburg, April 5, 2017
“Are You Prepared for an Environmental Emergency at Your Camp?” presented at Tri-State CAMP Conference, April 2, 2017
"Environmental Compliance for Camps," an MGKF webinar presented on behalf of AMSkier Insurance, February 25, 2016
"Preparing for and Responding to an Emergency of Casualty Incident," sponsored by MGKF in Bala Cynwynd, PA, June 24, 2014
“Industrial Boiler MACT,” a webinar presented for the McIlvaine Company’s Hot Topic Hour, March 22, 2012
“Impact on Ambient Air Rules for PM2.5 and Ozone,” a webinar presented for the McIlvaine Company’s Hot Topic Hour, December 9, 2010
“Impact of Ambient Air Rules for Fine Particulate Matter and Ozone on Fossil Fuel Power Plants,” a webinar presented for the McIlvaine Company’s Hot Topic Hour, April 22, 2010
- May 23, 2019MontCo.Today
- April 21, 2016Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Ranked in Top 20 Ceiling SmashersLaw360