As global and national energy policy undergoes a revolutionary transformation, opportunities for energy generation from renewable sources—including solar, wind, geothermal, and landfill methane—continue to expand. Renewable energy companies have turned to MGKF to provide sophisticated counsel with respect to their projects.
Renewable energy portfolio standards, such as Pennsylvania's Alternative Energy Portfolio Standard and New Jersey's Renewable Portfolio Standards and renewable fuel standards have led to a push for alternative energy production facilities to come on-line. Inherent in these projects are a wide variety of complex structuring and contractual issues, regulatory compliance requirements, and financial concerns. Additionally, while these projects are generally perceived as "green," they are industrial operations, and thus confront many of the same environmental regulatory concerns facing more traditional energy industries. For example, siting is often the critical issue for alternative energy projects—including "low impact" projects such as solar photovoltaic arrays or wind turbines—as local communities may challenge the siting of these types of facilities. Federal, state, and local permits may be required for the construction and operation of renewable energy facilities. Projects such as ethanol refining, waste coal combustion, or coal-to-liquids production implicate environmental regulatory issues across all media. MGKF assists clients with a variety of alternative energy projects, such as development, construction, operations and maintenance of energy generation facilities, the purchase and/or sale of the energy generated from these facilities and related environmental attributes, renewable fuel use options and projects that implement energy efficiency upgrades.
Many alternative energy and energy efficiency projects are eligible for significant federal and state financial assistance in the form of grants, loans, tax incentives or other types of financing, and significant portions of such projects are also frequently funded by more traditional debt and equity financings from various sources of capital, both public and private. MGKF has worked with clients in connection with financing their alternative energy and energy efficiency projects.
The following are some of the representative matters MGKF has handled in the alternative/renewable energy field:
- MGKF has assisted clients in assessing siting, permitting, developing, and addressing the regulatory issues associated with various sources of alternative energy generation, including solar, wind power, solid fuel gasification, landfill gas-to-energy, waste-to-energy, and waste coal fuel.
- The firm has assisted refiners with regulatory and permitting requirements associated with renewable/clean fuels, including securing permits for an ethanol production plant and providing regulatory counseling regarding compliance with the Renewable Identification Number ("RIN") program.
- MGKF has advised commercial and industrial clients concerning the siting, development, construction, financing, and ongoing operations and maintenance of large solar photovoltaic installations at various properties, including closed landfills and Brownfields property, and other more conventional sites.
- The firm has represented clients developing roof-top solar projects.
- We have advised clients in matters involving the generation, ownership, purchase and sale of solar renewable energy certificates ("SRECs").
- MGKF has drafted and counseled clients with respect to easements, leases and other access-related agreements necessary for renewable and alternative energy installations.
- We have counseled commercial clients regarding wind farm development and the purchase of wind generated energy.
- We have drafted and advised clients concerning solar and wind power purchase agreements and agreements between clients and the project contractor/developer.
- We have counseled clients regarding arrangements between independent power producers and public utilities.
- The firm has advised commercial and industrial clients and lending institutions on the availability of grants and other incentives for energy efficiency and renewable energy projects and assisted these clients with the preparation of funding applications.
- MGKF has assisted a large fuel supplier with respect to regulatory issues associated with renewable fuels.
- May 14, 2018
- MGKF’s John Gullace Moderates Panel at New Jersey’s Utility Companies: Meeting Evolving Energy & Customer NeedsMay 23, 2017
- March 31, 2017
- April 26, 2016
- MGKF's Office Space with LEED® Gold Certification for Commercial Interiors Pays off with Energy SavingsJuly 28, 2015
- MGKF's Christopher Ball Moderated at the Chamber of Commerce Southern New Jersey's Utility Infrastructure SummitJune 29, 2015
- MGKF Participates in the American Legal Industry Sustainability Standard Pilot Launch of the Law Firm Sustainability NetworkApril 27, 2015
- April 6, 2015
- November 13, 2014
- MGKF, First Philadelphia-Area Law Firm with LEED Gold Certified Commercial Interior Space Offers Advice on "Greening Your Office"September 30, 2014
- May 13, 2014
- April 9, 2014
- Marc E. Gold, Partner at Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, is Panelist at "Marcellus Shale Gas - The Science, Regulation and Home Rule of Hydraulic Fracturing"June 3, 2013Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - Environmental Law Section of NY State Bar Association
- May 15, 2013
- Todd D. Kantorczyk of Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP, Guest Speaker on Air Quality Issues Associated with Natural Gas Development for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute on November 28, 2012November 5, 2012
- Brenda Hustis Gotanda, Partner at Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP, Plans PBI Course for Real Estate Lawyers on Energy Efficiency, Green Building and SustainabilityAugust 21, 2012
- August 20, 2012
- Philadelphia Joins the Growing List of Cities Mandating the Benchmarking and Reporting of Building Water and Energy UsageJuly 23, 2012
- The Haverford School Sustainability Alliance Visits Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox, LLP in Bala Cynwyd, PA, an Award-Winning Environmental Law FirmMay 3, 2012
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- June 22, 2017presented by PENJERDEL
- May 24, 2017presented by Chamber of Commerce Southern New Jersey
- September 27, 2016a program of the Urban Land Institute Philadelphia
- September 9, 2014Co-Hosted by Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox and BL Companies
- November 20-22, 2013
- October 12, 2012
- November 8, 2010How to Get Green Projects Funded
- March 19, 2018The Philadelphia Inquirer/Philly.com
- January 19, 2016How Greater Philadelphia is positioning itself to become the next global energy hubSITE Selection Investment Profile: Select Greater Philadelphia
- January 18, 2018
- January 18, 2018
- April 25, 2017
- USEPA’s Proposal for Addition of Natural Gas Processing Facilities to the Toxic Release Inventory (TRI)February 10, 2017Fact Sheet
- January 23, 2017
- January 22, 2017
- September 29, 2016
- April 28, 2016
- January 25, 2016
- January 25, 2016
- January 25, 2016
- Philadelphia's Commercial Building Benchmarking Deadline Approaching; Program Expanded to Include Residential BuildingsJune 15, 2015
- PADEP Announces Results of TENORM Study of Oil and Gas Operations: Little Risk, but More Requirements Coming?January 20, 2015
- December 15, 2014
- November 11, 2013
- EPA Publishes Proposed Amendment to All Appropriate Inquiry Rule: Significant Environmental Due Diligence Changes on the HorizonAugust 20, 2013
- November 16, 2012
- November 8, 2012
- July 23, 2012
- November 10, 2011
- November 9, 2011
- November 7, 2011Renewable Energy Projects
- November 5, 2011
- December 7, 2017Global, National and Local Challenges and OpportunitiesDecember 2017 issue of EM Magazine
- July 11, 2016The Legal Intelligencer
- September 11, 2015The Legal Intelligencer
- January 23, 2014Solar Power World
- November 8, 2013The Legal Intelligencer
- October 8, 2013Law 360
- April 13, 2012The Legal Intelligencer
- November 15, 2011Association of Corporate Counsel's "Green-house Counsel"
- October 14, 2011The Legal Intelligencer
- August 12, 2011The Legal Intelligencer
- August 1, 2011The Association of Corporate Counsel's "Green-house Counsel"