The effective management of stormwater runoff is an aspect of sustainable development and green building that is receiving increased attention from real estate developers, property managers, and building owners, particularly as cities and municipalities adopt stormwater impact fees and new systems of stormwater regulation. Those that have enacted stormwater impact fee programs, such as Philadelphia, typically require new construction projects to incorporate state-of-the-art sustainable stormwater best management practices into their design in order to manage the majority of the property’s stormwater on-site. Properties developed prior to the implementation of such fee programs or implementing regulations are also encouraged to retrofit older infrastructure and implement sustainable stormwater design in order to obtain credits that can be used to reduce the property’s total stormwater impact fee. MGKF’s lawyers and in-house technical consultants have assisted clients in navigating these new stormwater regulations, developing sustainable stormwater best management practices, applying for and obtaining stormwater fee credits and grant funding, negotiating practicable stormwater management practices with Municipal regulatory agencies, and preparing contractual agreements between clients, contractors, and parties involved with constructing and maintaining the systems.
Examples of representative green stormwater infrastructure matters in which our professionals have assisted clients include the following:
- The firm represented a large industrial property owner in the negotiation of various agreements related to a $2.7M grant for sustainable stormwater infrastructure obtained from the Philadelphia Water Department's Stormwater Management Incentives Program.
- The firm has assisted multiple clients to obtain grant funding for stormwater retrofit projects through the Philadelphia Water Department’s Stormwater Management Incentives Program (SMIP) and Greened Acre Retrofit Program (GARP).
- The firm has assisted dozens of industrial and commercial property owners to receive credits on their non-residential stormwater charges under the Philadelphia Water Department’s stormwater credit and appeals system.
- The firm assisted several large commercial/industrial clients through the City of Philadelphia’s quadrennial Water Rate Making process.
- The firm’s technical consultants have acted as owner’s representative during construction and commissioning of state-of-the-art stormwater management system installation.
- The firm has represented clients in litigation related to failed stormwater management systems.
- The firm has represented clients in challenges of stormwater assessments.
- The firm has litigated cases involving challenges to the legal authority for municipal stormwater fee ordinances.
- January 18, 2023
- January 18, 2023
- Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court Finds Local Stormwater Charge Constitutes a Tax Not a Fee for ServiceJanuary 18, 2023
- Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court Finds Local Stormwater Charge Constitutes a Tax Not a Fee for ServiceJanuary 9, 2023
- January 14, 2019
- January 14, 2019
- January 5, 2023MGKF Litigation Blog
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Included in 2022 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” National RankingsNovember 4, 2021
- August 19, 202117 Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Attorneys Listed in 2022 Best Lawyers and Ones to Watch
- June 14, 2021
- May 24, 2021
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox to Receive the 2021 H. Robert Fiebach Award for the Promotion of Women in the LawMay 4, 2021
- May 3, 2021
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Included in 2021 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” National RankingsNovember 5, 2020
- October 23, 2020
- Bruce Katcher Named the Best Lawyers® 2021 Environmental Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Cherry Hill, NJAugust 20, 202016 Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Attorneys Included in Best Lawyers 2021 and Four Named to Inaugural Ones to Watch List
- June 8, 2020Gotanda, McCabe, Moshang and Schiller Included in Top 50 Women Pennsylvania Listing
- April 30, 2020
- January 6, 2020
- Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox Included in 2020 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” National RankingsNovember 4, 2019
- September 26, 2019
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- April 27, 2022
- Bala Golf Club and Opti Announce Partnership with Philadelphia Water Department to Develop Comprehensive Stormwater Management PlanSeptember 19, 2017Cision PR Newswire